Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
is a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. In AML, the bone marrow makes many unformed cells called blasts. Blasts normally develop into white blood cells that fight infection. However, the blasts are abnormal in AML. They do not develop and cannot fight infections. The bone marrow may also make abnormal red blood cells and platelets. The number of abnormal cells (or leukemia cells) grows quickly. They crowd out the normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets the body needs.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How did we get here??

November 12, 2011
Riley was on a scout camp out and threw up out of the blue. Odd. Felt fine otherwise.

A WEEK LATER
November 18, 2011
Last morning of our Gibson family cruise and Riley quickly ran into our little cabin bathroom and threw up. Felt normal after.

Riley threw up 2 times the next week. (Week of Thanksgiving.)

The following week Riley felt fine but did have hives on Wednesday and Thursday. At this point I thought it seemed like an allergy.

The next week was different. (Week of December 5th, 2011) Riley threw up before school every day. He insisted on going to school because he was nearing finals. He said he felt better at school and so off he went. We also had the stomach flu going through the kids that week. Riley came home that Thursday thinking he didn't just have a "funny stomach", but the stomach flu. He did feel pretty lousy.

That Saturday (December 10), we went to an evening bbq at the park with friends. Riley ate a little but after a while I didn't know where he was.?? I found him asleep in the car. He got up a little bit later and then suddenly threw up in the parking lot. He felt a little better and just wanted to go home and go to bed.

Sunday (December 11) was a great day. Riley looked fine and ate well and we went to church. He didn't throw up at all and we didn't even think about how awful he felt the day before.

Monday (December 12) I called Dr. Roberts to try to get in as soon as we could because of what happened that last week. Something was not right. They could squeeze us in that afternoon. I picked Riley up at school about 2:15. He had a rough day. Threw up twice in the morning and once at school. On the way to the doctor's office I had to pull over so he could be sick on the side of the road. His coloring was pale and grayish at this point. We could not get to the doctors office fast enough!


Dr. Roberts agreed that Riley did not look good. What could it be?? Maybe an infection in the pancreas? He sent us to a lab to get blood work done. The lab next door to our doctor had just closed... ugh! So we found one that was opened until 5:00. We made it there by 4:30. Yeah, at least we can get some answers! That night we FINALLY finished decorating our Christmas Tree. I had procrastinated during a busy time and just did not get it done until now.

Tuesday morning (December 13, 2011), I had just gotten everyone out the door to school. Finally a moment of peace I thought. I sat down to the computer to order Christmas cards and the phone rang. It was Dr. Roberts. He calmly asked if I could sit down. He said, "The news is not good. The blood test indicates leukemia." I don't really remember much of what else he said. I do remember him saying that it would be a long road ahead.
 
Shock and fear set in.  The house is so quiet.  I get a weird sensation through my body.  Almost like I am outside myself.  I immediately call Vince at work.  I remember telling him that I felt sick to my stomach.  He starts talking about how the stomach bug had finally caught up to me ...  I could hardly get the words out.  -Riley has leukemia-  He came straight home.  We have tears and are in shock.  We wander around the house, not knowing what to do.  We try to calm each other's fears, but we are scared.  Dr. Roberts had made us an appt. at UMC to meet with a hema / oncologist .  He said that they would have to confirm the diagnosis.  We gathered our things and left to pick Riley up from the High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment