Monday. Only 10 in the morning and already a hard day. I called Vince to see if Riley was up for seminary today and he said no, he had a hard night. Besides the pain he had in his stomach, last night during the transfusion, he had an allergic reaction to the platelets. The doctors helped him, and he was fine, but he was wheezing. Wheezing!! Ugh, they stopped the transfusion of platelets and did not give the red blood cells at all. So with this information now swirling about my brain, I get the kids off to school and then get myself ready. I had an appt. with the counselor at the High School to withdraw Riley and return his books. I head over there and was doing fine... until the nice lady at the desk asked what I was there for... Tears flow. I couldn't help thinking how badly I wished Riley was at school, having a normal day. Instead, I was there to withdraw him. It felt horrible. The counselor gave me a hug. I quickly composed myself, and signed the paperwork she had prepared for me. I am now at the hospital. Riley is sleeping. I have spoken with the nurses about last night and now I am waiting for the doctor to come in. ...
Labs today:
White blood cells: 0.5 (normal 4.5 - 13.5)
Red Blood cells: 8.2 (normal 13.5 - 17.5)
Platelets: 39 (normal 150 - 425)
ANC: 15 ( < 500 = severely neutropenic)
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
is a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. In AML, the bone marrow makes many unformed cells called blasts. Blasts normally develop into white blood cells that fight infection. However, the blasts are abnormal in AML. They do not develop and cannot fight infections. The bone marrow may also make abnormal red blood cells and platelets. The number of abnormal cells (or leukemia cells) grows quickly. They crowd out the normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets the body needs.
is a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. In AML, the bone marrow makes many unformed cells called blasts. Blasts normally develop into white blood cells that fight infection. However, the blasts are abnormal in AML. They do not develop and cannot fight infections. The bone marrow may also make abnormal red blood cells and platelets. The number of abnormal cells (or leukemia cells) grows quickly. They crowd out the normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets the body needs.
Hang in there Chrissie. Normal days will come again.
ReplyDelete